Hello my name is Rafael but everyone calls me Raf!! I became a proud member of SKCC about two years ago, very soon after I started cycling and my name may sound familiar as I co-ordinate the volunteer roster for the Club. I got into cycling after a series of injuries stopped me from running and I started looking for a different sport. My search stopped when I found cycling; I loved being able to go further and faster on a bike, and that I could push myself without my body breaking down in the same way it did when I was running.
My Mum encouraged me to join a cycling club so that I wouldn’t be on my own on the road. When I googled “cycling clubs”, SKCC was the first listed and the closest to me. I called up Gaelene and started going on Alison’s Friday ride. I quickly fell in love and kept coming back for more!
I’ve discovered and done some amazing thing on my bike (things I never contemplated or thought possible!) and I recently rode over to Adelaide for the TDU with a friend. We took back roads and a more of a touring pace than some of the other groups who went over. It was an awesome adventure! Airtravel might be more convenient than four days of riding, but it isn’t nearly as fun!
- If you had a time machine & you could go back 10 years what advice would you give your younger self?I’m really not sure. You’re always learning and growing with life experiences. I guess some good stock tips would be useful…
- If there was a movie made about your life, who would play you?Arnold Schwarzenegger…. ha!
- If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?I think being able to freeze time would be a pretty cool superpower
- Who or what motivates you?I like following a process, and find it motivating to work through goals and try to improve at the things I do. I also like helping others, and hope one day to become a doctor.I’m often impressed and inspired by the hard work I see people around me doing.
- Which emojis best describe your philosophy on life (Maximum of 3 emojis allowed)
Bikes — of course!
Banana — I’m a vegan.
100 — because I try to always put in 100%