Many of you would have seen that SKCC member, Steve Drake has taken over the running of our national Sporting Body, Cycling Australia, so we thought it would a great idea to find out a bit more about Steve.
Steve has been a Cycling Australia board member since February 2017 and it’s fair to say he knows a bit about riding and racing bikes!! Steve was a Commonwealth Games rider for Australia in 1994 and off the bike has held many roles spanning a two-decade-long corporate career in which he has specialised in Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Markets.
Steve’s team mates when he was racing included Robert Crowe and Alby Iacuone, also both SKCC members!
Interestingly it appears there are only 5 pictures of Steve on the whole internet, we’ve taken the liberty of cropping one badly and putting it here.
We asked Steve to answer the 5 Questions –
- If you had a time machine & you could go back 10 years what advice would you give your younger self?The standard answer to these types of questions is something like “work less, ride more” or “take time to smell the roses” but if I’m to be really honest I’d probably advise myself to borrow heavily and invest in property…
- If there was a movie made about your life, who would play you?The footy commentator Anthony Hudson
- If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?As a cyclist, would have to be super strength
- Who or what motivates you?Having a goal to work towards, a plan for how to get there, and a team that is both capable of and empowered to reach the goal. This can apply both to cycling and professional pursuits
- Which emojis best describe your philosophy on life (Maximum of 3 emojis allowed)My favourite one is Shaun the Sheep doing thumbs up, but that’s more a GIF than an emoji.