SKCC WOMEN'S WEEKLY RIDES
The SKCC Women's Sub-Committee realise the importance of providing weekly rides that will cater for all levels of fitness and ability. We are now pleased to announce that we have four weekly rides for SKCC Women Members, on each of the following days.....Tuesday's (2 rides), Wednesday's & Thursday's. These are perfect networking opportunities for new and existing members. In addition to these three rides there are a further two mixed rides on Monday's and Wednesday's that women are welcome to participate in, details of these are also included below.
What do I need to know:
We strictly follow the code of conduct when out on all rides. This means, calling of hazards, hand signaling, stopping at red lights and generally sharing the road politely as we ride.
NB: We have a ride co-ordinator for our four Women's rides. Their role is to welcome new members, so don't be shy, introduce yourself when you arrive for the ride.
Current ride leaders are:
Tuesday Beginner: Liz Georgeson & Meredith Clark
Tearaway Tuesday: Leann Jones & Nickola Hoffmann
Wednesday: Liz Georgeson, Lisa Byrne, Alison Raaymakers
Thursday: Sian Johnson, Anna Heaney
TUESDAY MORNING CHICKS' RIDE - Introductory:
- Start point: Café Racer, Marine Parade, St Kilda
- Start time & day: 6am on Tuesday mornings
- Destination & distance: St Kilda to Black Rock & return (28km’s)
- Pace: 25km/h to 28km/h
- The group will also finish at Cafe Racer to enjoy a coffee, a few stories and share how they’re feeling post ride.
PS: Communication regarding this ride is sent out every Monday by Liz on the SKCC Women's Facebook page. If work and family committments get the better of her the post may not go out, but the ride is on regardless. The only thing stopping this ride going ahead is severe wind, rain & snow !
TEARAWAY TUESDAY - KIT RIDE
This ride is for those with a reasonable base fitness. The format is mixed up a bit each week with changes in tempo (efforts) and the inevitable sprint up Reserve Rd. This is a women's ride but men are welcome providing they respect the pace and format of the ride.
- Start point: Cafe Racer, Marine Parade, St Kilda
- Start time & day: 5:45am on Tuesday mornings
- Destination & distance: St Kilda to Reserve Rd & return (35km’s)
- Pace: 30km/h to 35km/h (tail winds excepted)
- Return to: Cafe Racer at around 7am to enjoy a post ride coffee.
ABOUT THE EFFORTS!!
There are four designated efforts on the way home, the purpose of this ride is to help riders expand their "tool kit" and exercise their ability to change pace.... Which will mean burning the legs and expanding the lungs at four points during the ride:
- After turing left into Reserve Rd riders can "choose their own adventure" and attack the rises at their leisure, then turning left into Balcolme Rd where riders can continue with thier effort. BUT we all regroup at Blackrock tower before we head home and split into 3 groups for the ride home.
- Second effort starts at the pedestrian lights at the Sandy pub, riders continue up over the rise to the tennis courts on the right.... Riders regroup with their assigned group
- Third effort takes off at Milanos (just past South Rd), a longer effort up OVER the rise and finishing where the road changes colour, once again regrouping once the effort is done (but please don't stop peddling as there are other riders on the road!)
- Lastly the BP sprint, groups can start winding up at Elwood Lifesaving Club and the effort begins in earnest after Glenhuntly Rd lights (fingers crossed we get them) finishing at the BP.
This ride is about change of pace not just a long speed fest heading home. And remember safety always comes first!
Information about this ride will be posted on the SKCC Women's Facebook page by ride co-ordinator, Leann Jones each week.
This ride is a co-ordinated ride which aims to help women bridge the gap between Tuesday & Thursday's rides. This ride is ideal for helping riders who are leaving the novice ranks to further sharpen their skill and develop their ability. It is also suitable for new members with a base fitness level looking for networking opportunities. Men are welcome to join in as long as they respect the advertised pace of the ride.
Departing: 6.00am sharp, Café Racer, Marine Parade St Kilda
Returning: 7.00am for coffee back at Cafe Racer
Where to: St Kilda to Black Rock & return to St Kilda (28km)
Pace: High 20's - social chit chat pace on the way to Black Rock, faster paced (low 30's) rolling turns on the way home.
Drop Policy: Should riders new to this ride find the return pace quicker than they can manage initially, they are encouraged to return at their own pace, rejoining the group for coffee and a post ride chat at club sponsor Cafe Racer. We'll see you again in subsequent weeks and before long you'll be comfortably returning at the group's pace.
NB: SKCC kit is preferable but not mandatory. Communication regarding this ride can be found on the SKCC Women's Facebook page.
THURSDAY RIDE - KIT RIDE ONLY - SKCC MEMBERS ONLY
This is a training ride, rolling turns at a pace of 30kmph +. This is not a social ride - if fatigue overcomes you, you may sit on the rear of the rolling paceline. Men are welcome but must ensure that they respect the pace that the women choose to travel at on that day. This ride is suitable for those looking for a sharper pace than the Tuesday Beginner ride or Wednesday ride offers and for those looking to step up from the Wednesday morning ride.
Departing: 5.45am sharp, Cafe Racer, Marine Parade, St Kilda
Returning: 7.30am for coffee at club sponsor Cafe Racer
Where to: Mordialloc (return), approx 45km
Pace: Training ride pace, kept over the 30kph mark
Note: Communication regarding this ride will be made via the SKCC Women's Facebook Page. SKCC Kit is mandatory!
OTHER CLUB RIDES (Mixed)
For other (mixed) club rides, check out all the ride options on the SKCC Road Training Rides page. Whether you are just seeking to spin the legs over after a long, hard weekend of racing and training, or, looking for an additional training ride, there will be one there for you!