Cycle racing is a great way to spend the day and by following a few simple rules we can all enjoy the experience. If you have never raced before, read our First Time Guide to Criterium Racing. Before you start you need to know the formal rules which every rider must know and follow, breaches of these rules carry signficant penalties. Almost all these rules are intended to ensure you go home wihtout injury. These rules can be found at this LINK. Please take the time to read them. A summary of the key rules are below.
1. Maintain your line & keep left unless overtaking
2. Do not change direction suddenly
3. Do not pass underneath in a corner
4. Do not overlap wheels
5. Do not pedal through corners
6. Do not ride outside the cones
7. Do not push, pull or interfere with another rider
8. Do not contest sprint from further back than 10th wheel
9. Sprint in a straight line once out of the final corner
10. As the lead rider – guide the peloton safely past hazards
11. Communicate your intentions with others
12. Keep both hands on the bars (unless taking a drink)
13. Follow all directions from marshals and officials
Cycling Tips and Tactics
Many books have been written about how to race safely and race to win. If you are new to the sport or even a seasoned rider here are a few articles from Cycling Tips which should have you racing safley and fast.
- - Build a Training Program
- - Your First Bike Race
- - Golden Rules of Crit Racing
- - Common Spinting Mistakes
- - Attack on the Lull
- - Top 10 Attacking Mistakes
- - To Attack or Not Attack?
- - Tight Cornering